Art Nouveau was a movement between 1890-1905 and was an international style of decoration and architecture. I wanted to study this particular design movement for this body of work due to the fact that this was one of the first movements that had the joined the concepts of the traditional fine arts and crafts media however using new man made materials for a more modern approach.
Before looking into particular designers and art works in this category there are three main areas in which need to be discussed in which helped formed the style. Jon Attwood's book: Product Design (2008) Pg 122 + 123 helped explain these three areas. These elements will help me think about how I can create a suited design that translates Art Nouveau through the practical of make-up.
One key element of which can be notified in the design of Art Nouveau would be natural forms. Much of the outlines in this movement were inspired by flowers, leaves, roots and seedpods. These were designed with a curve form of lining also known as 'whiplash lines'.
Another element in which was well noted to define the movement was the female form. A lot of the artworks were styled to fit a pre-Raphaelite pose in which the females would be sporting long flowing hair. The female figure was also highlighted through the composition of Art Nouveau artworks.
A third element that is noticeable was the use of international culture that inspired the shapes of the design movement. Art from Japan was particularly a very strong influence due to the fact they use asymmetrical outlines and minimal grid structure. Other cultures that were an inspiration were Celtic, Ancient Greek and and Arabian patterns due to the fact that they were known for elongated, intertwined patterns.
These three elements I think will be key into influencing my designs for my hair and make-up outcomes for this movement. I will now look into these three areas in more depth to look at designs in which I think would work well on the skin or through hair design.Another point in which I need to think about was that this was one of the first art movements to appreciate and embrace the possibility of new materials. This could be interesting to use this theory to explore materials in which are not first seen as 'cosmetic materials' to create this design look but could maybe work into portraying the materials used in the movement, for example does my hair design have to be made out of human or synthetic hair? Could I identify a material that could be knotted or wefted to create 'whiplash lines'? Through more thorough research this should hopefully give me ideas in which I can show that my make-up and hair design is true and fitting to the influence of Art Nouveau.
No comments :
Post a Comment