navigationmenu

Friday, 1 May 2015

16. Frank Gehry

Frank Gehry is a Canadian architect in which man of work is categorised as part of the Deconstructivism style. I wanted to look specifically into his work as he also uses a wave formation into his abstract structured designs. Again this helps identify that the movement does not follow the form follows function theory and rather create something out of the ordinary from its original context.
Image via: http://www.dreamideamachine.com/en/?p=3137
I think this could be adapted to become a hair structure design with hair flowing from different angles. I think I would need to think about the scale of the hair sculpture and how extra hair could be incorporated with my models own hair to create the vast shapes. 
Image via: http://blogs.britannica.com/2011/02/frank-gehry-symphony-steel-picture-day/
What I notice most about from this piece of architecture from Gehry would be the use of using an array of shapes that have been tilted to a particular angle. I think this concept would work well for a hair sculpture in which can then be photographed also from an array of angles so the look does not have to be viewed just to the front like most beauty make-up shoots portray. 
Image via: http://www.themindfordesign.com/2015/03/professionals-showcase-frank-gehry.html
I like the contrast between the checkered squared areas of the design against the wave like forms. However the shapes tie in together with the use of monochrome tones. I think what also needs to be thought about when designing is that although Deconstructivism is is meant to be creating a design that is out of the ordinary I also think when translating this through hair and makeup it is vital to use the natural forms of the body and hair to show elements of both natural and abstract.
Image via: http://www.joshbustosphotography.com/index.php#mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=0&p=4&a=0&at=0
Again metallic tones are necessary to fulfil the identification of this art movement through hair and make-up. I need to think about what kind of materials can be used to produce this type of metallic colour, obviously silver and grey tones of hair could be used for the hair structure but it could be interesting to experiment with materials that could be applied to the hair to intensify these monochrome tones.
Image via: http://www.urbanfile.org/project/america/united-states/new-york/8-spruce-street
I think what is interesting about this design from Gehry is that you can see has still kept very traditional forms of a skyliner but added a ripple effect to the design to give it a more abstract appearance. I think this would be interesting to translate into make-up with the use of subtle prosthetics creating a ripple like form to the skin. 




No comments :

Post a Comment